Are you one of the millions of people across America are intrigued by professional football – and all types and levels of football? Perhaps you have a friends or a number of friends who have made the football season a ritual, from the last weekend in August until Super Bowl Sunday at the end of January. To be a part of that experience, you need to have a working knowledge of the game.
Football For Dummies, 2nd Edition, can provide you with that knowledge and help you relate to the passionate football fans in your life. On the surface, football may seem to be a very complicated game. The game becomes far less intimidating once you begin to understand the fundamentals of the game. After you break through that initial fear of being overwhelmed by football and what you don’t understand, everything else about the game will fall into place, like dominoes. Get ready to find answers to all your football questions, such as:
- Why do they call it the “gridiron” anyway?
- Is the ball really made of pigskin, or is that an inside joke?
- Why do you get six points for a touchdown but only three points for a field goal?
- Does it really matter how all those guys line up on the field?
- Does it really mean something when the officials do those funny signals with their arms, or are they just bored out there?
If you don’t know a touchdown from a touchback or an interference penalty from an interception, then this book is for you. You’ll find easy-to-understand explanations of these topics and more:
- The football season
- Rules and regulations
- Keys to successful offensive line play
- Defense tactics and strategies
- Coaches, general managers, and other important folks
- Youth leagues and high school football
- Why people love college football
- Fantasy leagues
- Conditioning, training, and diet
Authors Howie Long – Emmy-award-winning football commentator and eight-time Pro Bowl defensive end – and John Czarnecki – editorial consultant for CBS NFL Today and Fox NFL Sunday – have teamed up to bring you the ultimate fan’s guide to football. This second edition of Football For Dummies has been updated to cover new teams, stadiums, and players.